Promoting Your Circadian Rhythm
S - Schedule bedtime and stick to it
L - Limit physical activity before bedtime
U - Use comfort measures
M - Meditate (count those lambs)
B - Breathe
E - Eliminate stress and food (including caffeine 2-3 hours prior to bedtime)
R - Remember nothing—clear your mind (journal your to-do list so you can let go)
(Cooper and Miller, 2010, pg 167)
- Limit caffeine intake to mornings.
- Avoid alcohol in the evening.
- Limit activity two hours before bedtime.
- Don’t eat right before going to bed.
- See if your medications cause insomnia.
- Practice relaxation techniques.
- If deprivation is significant, see your doctor.
Sleep deprivation can impede healing, foster agitation, and when severe, cause psychosis. This might explain why so many of us have difficulty fighting off viruses and recovering from injury, the things normally repaired during sleep. When our cells are deprived of oxygen, cellular metabolism and energy is affected.