biomarker – a test done on the body that indicates a specific physical trait used to assess the effects or evolution of a disease or disorder.
- Body-wide pain — no longer confined to 18 tender points
- Non-restorative sleep — not feeling rested even when eight hours are achieved
- Malaise—lack of zest or energy, fatigue
- Cognitive deficit —difficulty finding words, adult onset dyslexia, and short term memory problems.
comorbid – pertaining to two or more conditions that occur together more frequently than others.
Dr Wolfe stated: I don't share that concern or agree with you. However, the physician can certainly chose to exclude symptoms of known diseases if she chooses. That's why we ask physicians to analyze the symptoms and make a judgment. You misread the ACR criteria when you write the criteria “define symptoms of several autoimmune disorders to be considered.” The criteria refer to symptoms that are present in humans irrespective of disease. There is no clustering between FM and the diseases and syndromes you cite. FM occurs in all diseases and illnesses, but more often in diseases that cause pain or are worrisome. And it is common in osteoarthritis and back pain syndromes, which are not autoimmune at all.
Full article here.
"2014 is the year that has proved without a doubt FIBROMYALGIA IS REAL!"
- Fibromyalgia will no longer be used as a wastebasket diagnosis (yes, it still happens).
- We won't have to endure publicized terms such as "Fibromyalgianess."
- Improvement of meeting the guidelines for disability benefits.
- Better tracking by the World Health Organization.
- Better funding for research into the biology of fibromyalgia.
- Target rich treatments.
That's what gives us courage, determination, and hope.
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Somatic%20Symptom%20Disorder%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf (Accessed 5-30-2014).
Behm FG, Gavin IM, Karpenko O, Lindgren V, Gaitonde S, Gashkoff PA, Gillis BS. Unique immunologic patterns in fibromyalgia. BMC Clin Pathol. 2012 Dec 17;12(1):25. doi: 10.1186/1472-6890-12-25.
Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katz RS, Mease P, Russell AS, Russell IJ, Winfield JB, Yunus MB. The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010 May;62(5):600-10.
Frederick Wolfe. Fibromyalgianess. Arthritis Care and Research. DOI: 10.1002/art.24553 Article first published online: 28 MAY 2009
"Adversity is only an obstacle if we fail to see opportunity." Celeste Cooper, RN